Woyee - amazing
I was so happy to find this in my email this morning. Woyee Film and Theater Industry, an organization in Southern Sudan, a group of Sudanese people working in film and drama to educate and promote awareness, credits FilmAid in part with its founding:
Individuals within the group joined other community based clubs such as the Participatory Video Project (PVP) of FILMAID International which uses the power of film to promote health issues and entertain the refugees. it was after joining this club in 2006 that the members realized thier number and passion has increased into both acting on stage and film.
The initial members of about 5 begun to make short films using skills acquired from trainings offered by the FilmAid expertise. The members managed to make 30 short films and other stories which were later shown to the community by FilmAid, thus boosting their morale to take it a course that should be implemented even after the camp closed.
As repatriation began to take toll, most of the members returned home/Sudan.
What they do:
1.Produce local films based on the contemporary set up of Sudan especially Southern Sudan.
2. Nature young talents on stage Drama; Poetry, Plays, Narratives
3. Expose southern Sudan to international investors using documentaries that portray the ecosystem and Agricultural opportunities within the region.
4. Provide basic camera and production techniques to Sudanese youths to open doors for professional careers or jobs.
5. Engage the youths in Film and Drama festivals within southern Sudan
6. Produce local adverts and awareness campaigns that will impact postively on the lives of southern Sudanese and Africa.
7. Offer employment opportunities to Southern Sudanese youths by encouraging creative arts
8. Collaborate with government and institutions that promote development, democracy and freedom with respect to human rights in enhancing patriotism in southern Sudan
I’ve had a very hectic schedule but have about nine posts already lined up to go on the blog! So stay tuned…